Water Damage Services
Calling a water damage service company when you first detect a leak or flood is critical to lessening the damage the water can cause. Water has the potential to create extensive damage to your home, its contents and the structure itself if left unattended to. Many clients have questions about what to do with carpets, rugs and ceilings that require our water damage services. The following guidelines should help you understand what to do specifically for carpet and ceiling water damage.
Carpet Water Damage
When you first notice a damp or seeping carpet, you should call a water damage service company like The Water Damage Experts right away. We will come out for an inspection, and will probably advise you to remove any items on the carpet or that you’ve stored under your bed and move them to a dry place. We will also probably suggest removal of any light pieces of furniture.
We will extract any standing water, and then begin the ventilation and drying processes, ventilating the area with fans and dehumidifiers specially-designed to treat areas exposed to water. The fans expedite the drying process and shorten the drying time, while the dehumidifiers work to help dry the microenvironment.
Call right away, as time is of the essence in the case of carpet water damage. Mold, fungus and bacteria can start to flourish after a mere twelve hours.
With carpet water damage, you should:
- Immediately stop the water flow causing the damage if possible
- Remove any books, magazines or other personal effects on the floor to a dry area
- Remove any rugs, throw pillows and light furniture
- Contact a reputable water damage service company
- Speak with your insurance company as it may cover the damage
If you have water damage on your carpet (or tile or hardwood floors, actually), do not:
- Use any electrical appliances such as televisions, toaster ovens or hair blow dryers
- Walk on the carpet any more than necessary. Bacteria from the bottom of your shoes can interact with the water and create a microenvironment for bacteria to flourish.
- Wait to take care of the situation. Mold begins to form after twelve hours and can create a serious health hazard.
Ceiling Water Damage
A leak from an upstairs shower or bathtub can easily cause water damage to the ceiling on the first floor. If you notice any spots, discolorations, or saggy areas on the ceiling, you should contact a water damage service company like The Water Damage Experts right away. Even a slight discoloration is cause for concern. You should never just paint over it and then forget about it, because mold and mildew can continue to grow beneath the paint and make you very sick. If a ceiling is leaking, remove any contents underneath it.Some of the possible causes of ceiling water damage include:
- A leaky roof
- A burst pipe or plumbing leak
- High condensation running on an air conditioning line
After your call, the first thing we will do on our inspection of the area is determine the cause of the ceiling water damage so we can fix the root of the problem.
If the ceiling is sagging, stay out of the room as much as you can and put a pan under the leak to collect the water while you wait for The Water Damage Experts to arrive. Do not turn on the ceiling fan in any room with noticeable ceiling water damage. Remove any pictures or art on your walls. With these tips, hopefully your water extraction and water damage service experience will be as painless as possible.